Saturday 9 February 2013

Making A GIF- If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again - And Then Ask Your PLN for HELP!





This is my very first (and only) GIF.  I cannot begin to explain all of the learning that went into my being able to create this little baby - it's the story of my backyard by the way - but the hoops I had to jump through to create this animated image are actually irrelevant.

What IS important, is that when I first began watching Jim Groom's session on creating GIFs, my immediate thought was, "This is over my head, not for me, it will be a long time, if ever, before I can do something like that!".

But all week long, people in our etmooc community were posting their GIFs.  How hard could it be?  I felt out of the loop.

With the help of my husband, (much against his wishes, he has been learning right along with me!), I managed to create a GIF using the free GIMP software suggested in the Tumblr tutorial we were sent in our etmooc Digital Storytelling introduction.

I was so proud of myself for being able to create this silly little GIF; but then couldn't figure out how to upload it to my blog or share it on Google+.  Each time I tried, it would lose its animation.  So I posted a question in the Google+ community.  With the help of +Alison Seaman and +Andrew Forgrave I was finally able to upload it.

What did I learn?  I learned that I can do things I never thought possible; that an online PLN is an incredibly powerful resource; that learning is not easy, but persistence and determination will be rewarded; and that success feels really, really good!

As I re-read this post, I realize that as a student, learning was always easy for me.  Math, Language, Science, loved them all... I never had trouble in school.  Going through this etmooc, I feel, for the very first time, like a struggling student.  It has given me so much empathy for those children whom I serve that just don't "get it" the first time around.  I think that is the most powerful piece of learning in this etmooc for me.


2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I've been "away" from ETMOOC for most of the last week so reading your post about perseverance inspires me to jump back in despite feeling so out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what I love most about this etmooc is knowing that if I can't learn it now, I can always come back later when I am ready!

      Delete

Please share your comments and ideas. When it asks you to "comment as" you have the option to select "name/URL" and can leave your name only or comment as "anonymous" if you prefer.